The Savoy Project Day Three – Adonis Cocktail
The Savoy Project is an online chronicle of Cocktails, 365 editor Mark A. Vierthaler’s quest to make every single cocktail in The Savoy Cocktail Book. Each recipe contains the original recipe as it appeared in the book, as well as which brand Mark used in parenthesis next to the ingredient.
- 1 Dash Orange Bitters (Angostura)
- 1/3 Italian Vermouth (Carpano Antica Formula)
- 2/3 Dry Sherry (Sandeman Don Fino Superior)
Stir well and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon peel. (I switched it up with a lemon twist.)
Sherry, much like vermouth, has long been relegated to the rubbish bin of modern cocktail culture. And that’s a huge disservice to modern mixology, considering the complex flavors a high-quality sherry can add to any number of mixes. I went with the Sandeman Don Fino Superior for a couple of reasons.
1) Because it’s a pleasant, bright fino sherry that’s affordable.
2) Because it’s one of the few sherries my local liquor store carries.
So, you know. There’s that.
You’re definitely going to want a brighter dry sherry to stand up against the heaviness of the Carpano Antica. Cocktails like the Adonis are a great introduction to sherry-based cocktails.