It’s been much, much too long…
This perfect summer sipper is inspired by several different classic cocktails, which have been on my mind a bit lately as we slog through brutally humid and hot conditions here this summer. The Heering Rummy takes cues from classics like the Singapore Sling and Mojito.
- Paring knife
- Bar Spoon
- Highball Glass
- Small Bamboo Skewer
- One heaping handful of fresh mint leaves
- 3 oz silver rum
- 1 oz Cherry Heering
- .25 oz orange liqueur
- 1/4 lime (juice only)
- 3 hefty dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 drops saline solution
- Ginger ale to top
- Garnish: Three fresh cherries (pitted), three fresh mint leaves
- Place your fresh mint in the mixing glass of a Boston shaker. (No need to muddle. Your shaking will handle this quite well.)
- Fill with the rum, Heering, orange liqueur, lime juice, bitters, and saline.
- Top with large chunks of ice and place your shaking tin over the top of the glass.
- Shake vigorously (at least 20 seconds or until your shaker is too cold to hold).
- Fill your highball glass with crushed ice, all the way up to the top.
- Double strain through Hawthorne strainer and handheld food strainer to leave behind floaty mint bits.
- Gently top the drink with ginger ale while stirring gently.
- Garnish with your mint/cherries.
The Heering Rummy – thanks to it heavily featuring Cherry Heering and Angostura – is a bit heavier than your standard “summer” cocktails, however the lime juice, orange liqueur, saline and ginger ale brighten up an otherwise heavy cocktail.
For an extra flavor burst, let your garnish soak in your cocktail, and then eat the cherries and mint together.